A few weeks ago (yes, I know this is very late!), i got to go backstage at Orla Kiely’s A/W14 show styled by ex Lula Editor and my style idol Leith Clark with hair and make-up by Luke Hersheson and Florrie White for Bobbi Brown respectively and quite brilliantly. A great morning full of whimsy and prettiness and Earl Grey tea in Orla Kiely paper cups. Wish i’d nicked one now…
My outfit: H&M coat, J.Crew necklaces, ASOS bag, Boden everything else
Bobbi Brown make-up and Hersheson hair.
Little Ivy - Orla Kiely’s dog!
Managed not to steal this.
Make-up artist Florrie White and her lovely assistant.
The feet and bag of one half of lovely Blogging duo She and Hem
The Goody Bags!
The shoes are part of Orla Kiely’s ongoing collaboration with Clarks. The bag is unfortunately not.
1) My mother used to dress me like Keith Chegwin. (see above)
2) I know who Keith Chegwin is.
3) I recently heard my daughter faux whispering to her friend while walking behind me: “My mummy is in her 30’s but I think she looks like she’s in her forties.” MY. OWN. DAUGHTER.
4) Twinge is my middle name.
5) Daughter enquires: “Mummy, why do you always wear children’s pants? You know, all big at the sides?” *madly rummages for 90’s thong*
6) I own a sensible, waterproof coat. Bought by husband but having been sneered at hasn’t actually been screwed up into a ball behind the hoover.
7) I furtively scrape my hair back into a Croyden Face-lift in the mirror at least twice a day.
8) I thought I had a black make-up smudge on my cheek. Turns out it was a bruise from manically rollering my face with an anti-aging gadget.
9) I fancied Harrison Ford when he looked like this:
You’re welcome. Swooooooon.
Bought: Perfect leather look skirt and flat chunky boots
I’ve been searching for flat chunky boots that aren’t biker boots and a nice leather look skirt that doesn’t bunch around the waist for ages and I found them both in one week. The skirt is French Connection, £65 and the boots are Zara, £79.99. Not super cheap but they are now firmly categorised as wardrobe staples and I have been wearing them non-stop. Thankfully the skirt is wipeable.
Oosh we’ve been busy ! Trip to Cartier exhibition in Paris followed by skin analysis and bespoke prescription in Paris from Ioma. Valentine craft morning at Harrods and tickets to see Strictly the Tour at the 02!
I’ve always loved Danish company Rice’s gorgeous bright melamine pieces but it was only when I was browsing the brilliant Sisters Guild website that I realised they did so much more. Stoneware, vases, raffia storage and even sequin masks. Rice is an ethically and socially responsible company who say their mission is to paint your life happy. It’s working for me.
I love these honeycomb jugs. Perfect for chilled lemonade or flowers. Large vase £37.50, sistersguild.co.uk
I have these non-breakable cups in plain colours and would love to mix and match them with these printed ones. Great for the table and picnics or even as bud vases. Set of 6 melamine cups, £23.99, sistersguild.co.uk
Ooh sequin animal masks! These would look great framed! rice.dk
This set would make a perfect Christening/naming day gift. Ceramic plate & cup set, £17.50, sistersguild.co.uk
Andrea Letterie Melamine dahlias chopping board, £10.99, sistersguild.co.uk
Super stylish toys that you won’t want to share…
This oriental style tea set illustrated by artist Nathalie Lete for French Toy company Vilac looks even better in real life. Definitely one for the high shelf - what do you mean you can’t break tin? Nathalie Lete for Vilac Tea Set, £35, amazon.com
Keep your felt tips away! Minimalists with or without kids will love the clean lines and reduced palette of this super stylish house. Wooden Dolls House, £125, The White Company
What a shame this didn’t fit on the shelf in the kids room - it will just have to sit in the living room for a while… WANT THIS! Small Miffy Lamp, £115, Alex & Alexa
This will go perfectly with the Ercol and the (faux) Eames rocker. Wooden Noah’s Ark, £50, The White Company
I’ve featured this before but just look at it… A work of art…Definitely one for the coffee table…Get your jammy fingers off! Tsumiki Dolls House, 97 Euros, KUKKIA, ninetoninekids.com
I’ve been getting a bit panicky about this collection! It’s already on sale on gap.com but there are only two pieces available on gap.co.uk. It’s Ok you haven’t missed it - the ultimate Paddington Bear homage will be hitting the UK on Jan 27th.
This is one of the sweetest limited edition collections that Baby Gap has ever done - there are only 5 or 6 pieces out of 147 that I wouldn’t buy. We love reading the Paddington books and I often show the girls clips of the old 70’s animation on youtube. Sadly my daughters won’t fit this range that is from newborn to 24months, although I might try to wedge one of the hats onto my 3 year old (they should be pretty roomy considering Paddington’s penchant for keeping his marmalade sandwiches under his) One of my best friends has a baby due any moment so I think a pair of bright yellow wellies and a poncho would make an excellent gift.
Fave Pieces from the collection:
Prices seem reasonable with onesies priced at £15, hats at £7 and the toggle poncho at £25
I have been doing the January Cure as prescribed by US website and interiors oracle Apartment Therapy. I friend of mine tactfully suggested I might like to take part as I suffer from INSANE MESS syndrome. I do have pockets of niceness but the rest of the place usually looks like that “You should see what they’ve done to your bathroom” advert for Yellow Pages. The cure involves AT sending you daily instructions via e-mail telling you to take stock, write lists, clear your floors, buy your home flowers to show how much you cherish it and then there were some more messages that I, um, haven’t had a look at yet. It has inspired me to do a few little jobs and i went to Ikea. I did really well at the flowers step…
You don’t need the flower budget of Elton John to make an impact. Bud vases and vintage bottles look great with Spring flowers.
A new tea-towel! This will make you feel very happy until it is not a new dish rag anymore and is therefore an old dish rag.
Home I do cherish thee with flowers…
New knobs! Two new knobs purchased from Zara Home - job done.
New enormous woven plastic bag purchased from Ikea £10 (not on website). WIll it be for recycling, toys or just a beach/shopping bag? Might need a few more…
January’s Shopping List
Last year I set myself the challenge of not buying any clothes for an entire year. it was like Popeye trying to give up spinach. I caved in March and went on a shopping rampage until round about now. My new resolution is to shop thoughtfully and to forage through the ironing mountain more.
Here are a few things tickling my fancy for January…
1) Wrap Belted Coat, £495, Whistles Like a lovely dressing gown that you can wear outside. Way out of price league so will have to make do with indoor dressing gown.
2) Lilac Pocket Jumper, £20, ASOS Lilac is a major trend this S/S but I think it has long term appeal and looks great teamed with tan accessories and geranium red lipstick. This jumper comes in loads of other great colours too. Will prob buy this.
3) Note Book, £11, Studio Sarah at ASOS Mmmmm nice stationery.
4) Limited Edition Ring stack, £8, ASOS, Love this pretty kitsch trio. Low in stock so ordering now!
5) Scallop Collar Silk Blouse, £49 (sale price) Jaeger Boutique Lavender shade that will look fab with a strong lip. Good sale price. Thinking about it…
6) Jewelled Perspex Belt, £20, River Island This is exactly like the Dior belt that Olivia Palermo wore recently. Would look great with a midi skirt and fine knit… Essential purchase
7) Kate Moss for Rimmel Matte Lipstick Collection, £5.49, Boots I have the wine (107) and the orange/red shade (110) and absolutely love the smell/texture/colour. Am thinking about getting one of the pinky shades too…
8) Grey Patent Heel, £29.99, Zara Hi really cheap shoe that looks like it costs so much more and will go with everything…
9) Sheer Stripe Ankle Socks, £4, ASOS Not sure if I’m too old to work an ankle sock with a heel but Laura Bailey is still doing it so I’m going to give it a go. These come in pale blue too.
Insatiable for January Shopping ideas? Me too. Check out this piece I’ve done for The Motherhood
This was Christmas 2013
Temporary suspension of real life achieved. Fantastic food, far too many Sour Seven cocktails, mum’s Christmas table, husband in a onesie, brown paper parcels all wrapped up in string and two very excited little girls.